APPLICATION GUIDELINES FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENT
General Entry Requirement
- Senior High School/Senior Secondary School/Other Certificates from the government schools with the period of at least 11 to 12 years of study from Primary to Higher Secondary (the cetificate is valid for 5 years from the year of Higher Secondary Examination) OR
any other certificate that is recognized by the Senate of the university
- Pass the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) at least 500/ International English Language Testing System (IELTS) at least 5.5; OR
- obtain a certificate from any Countries with English Language Education System (i.e. Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Botswana, British Indian Ocean Territory, British Virgin Islands, Cameroon, Canada, Cayman Island, Dominica, Falkland Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gambia, Ghana, Gibraltar, Grenada, Guam, Guernsey, Guyana, India, Ireland, Isle of Man, Jamaica, Jersey, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malta, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Montserrat, Namibia, Nauru, New Zealand, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Rwanda, Saint Helena, Saint Kitts & Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, U.S Virgin Islands, Uganda, United Kingdom, USA, Zambia, and Zimbabwe); OR
any other English Language certificate that is recognized by the Senate of the university.
- Applicant must have a credit pass in Mathematics or equivalent and English Languages to apply the undergraduate programme.
- Applicant must not be less than 18 but not more than 25 years old before the deadline of application submission.
- The university does not recognize all types of certificate issued by the private schools and colleges.
- If necessary, applicants may also be required to attend an interview and/or take an entrance test conducted by the university.
- pplicants from countries which required them to pass the university entrance examination have to submit the result of this examination together with their applications forms.
Applicant should note that the fulfillment of the minimum entrance alone does not guarantee admission to the University.
- All International candidates who do not meet any one of the above English Language requirements are required to attend the Intensive English Language Course and pass the English Proficiency Test before courses registration is allowed. Students are allowed to take the Intensive English Course for up to three (3) times within the duration of the validity of their visa which is in one (1) year
Getting a Visa to Study in Malaysia
- Studying abroad may be one of the most beneficial experiences for a student. To study in Malaysia you will need to apply for admission to an institution and a student visa from the Malaysian government. Use the helpful links below to find out more about the application process as well as the important things to remember once you are studying in Malaysia
- The key to a successful study abroad experience lies in understanding the process from the start. Start planning now by exploring the 5 easy steps below which will explain the EMGS process. You can also find relevant checklists and answers to questions regarding the application process.
- If you are in Malaysia as a tourist (holding a social pass), you will be required to exit the country before you apply for a student pass. Once your Visa Approval Letter has been issued, you may make arrangements to travel to Malaysia as a student.
- The cost of higher education is increasing, either due to inflation or other economic factors. As such, with the increasing cost of education and the demand of higher education, education scholarships and study loans becomes an essential.
- For International Students
- Malaysia International Scholarship under the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE), Malaysia.
- Commonwealth Scholarship And Fellowship Plan (CSFP) Tenable In Malaysia under the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) Malaysia, for students from the Commonwealth Countries.
International students should meet any one of the following English requirements set by the university before they are accepted for admission to the UUM Main Campus.
International Undergraduate students must obtain:
- 59 in the TOEFL Internet based Test; or
- Band 5.5 in IELTS; or
- Band 2 in MUET (Brunei and Indonesia) Band 3 in MUET (other countries)
They must obtain a certificate from any of the countries where English is the language of instruction in their educational system. The countries include Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Botswana, British Indian Ocean Territory, British Virgin Islands, Cameroon, Canada, Cayman Island, Dominica, Falkland Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gambia, Ghana, Gibraltar, Grenada, Guam, Guernsey, Guyana, India, Ireland, Isle of Man, Jamaica, Jersey, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malta, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Montserrat, Namibia, Nauru, New Zealand, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Rwanda, Saint Helena, Saint Kitts & Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, U.S Virgin Islands, Uganda, United Kingdom, USA, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
If students do not meet any of the above English requirements, they must sit for the Intensive English class as a preparatory course, which will be conducted by the Professional Development Unit (PDU) of School of Languages, Civilization and Philosophy (SLCP) and subsequently get the minimum band required in the Malaysian University English Test (MUET).
If students fail to get the minimum score, they must register and repeat the Intensive English course before retaking the MUET test. Following the new ruling by the Malaysian Immigration Department effective from 1 January 2014, students must fulfil the English requirement for admission into their respective program within the validity period of the student visa which is one (1) year.
Failure to meet the entry requirements will result in termination of study.
Intensive English Course will be offered three (3) times a year, which will be in the month of September, February and June. Students are required to register and follow the Intensive English Course before sitting for the MUET test.
Malaysian University English Test (MUET)
The Malaysian University English Test (MUET) at UUM will be administered by the Malaysian Examinations Council (MEC). The objective of MUET is to measure the English language proficiency of pre-university students for entry into tertiary education. MUET comprises all the four language skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing.
Rules and regulations:
- All international students who do not meet the minimum English requirements must sit for the MUET test which will be administered at the end of Intensive English Course. Students who failed to attend the test on the specified dates will be automatically graded as FAIL in which they will have to repeat the Intensive English Course and sit for the MUET test.
- Students who arrive/plan to arrive after the registration date for Intensive English and MUET will not be allowed to register. Registration can only be done during the subsequent semester.
International undergraduate students must obtain not less than Band 3 in the MUET test, Band 2 (Brunei and Indonesia).
The Intensive English Course is exempted for the following students:
- students who graduated from UUM and want to further their studies in UUM;
- students who had their studies terminated in UUM but later re-applied to pursue their undergraduate studies in UUM, and had already followed Intensive English Course and obtained a passing grade in MUET. The results are valid for five (5) years;
Intensive English Course for International Students
The Intensive English Course for International Students is a course designed for international students to develop their confidence and competence in using English in social and academic environments. This course is especially tailored to fulfil the needs of students who have not demonstrated an acceptable level of English proficiency upon entrance into the University.
This is a preparatory English course which introduces students to communication skills in an integrated manner, using the four modes of speaking, listening, reading and writing. The course provides a variety of language tasks and activities to develop students’ communication skills. Students will have a lot of opportunities to apply the language in a wide variety of contexts. They will also be trained to prepare themselves for MUET.
Students are allowed to take the Intensive English Course for up to three (3) times within the duration of the validity of their visa which is in one (1) year.
Payment for the Intensive English Course for one semester is RM2880 and it is included in the student’s tuition fees during the first semester.
The results of the MUET test will be available on the MEC’s portal https://www.mpm.edu.my and via SMS.
PDU SLCP will announce the result release date to students.
Intensive English Course for International Students RM 2880.00 per student per semester
Test Fee RM 1000.00 per student
International students must present the following before they are allowed to register for Intensive English Course:
- proof of registration (the original letter of offer which is stamped “REGISTERED” by their respective College); and
- International passport or smart card as identification.